*not my picture
I got this recipe from my Martha Stewart "Great Food Fast" book (thanks Shawna!)
Here is the recipe, with my additions of extra fresh vegetables.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 Bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, or oregano
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes (I used one large jar of stewed tomatoes, because I had it on hand)
- 1 small can tomato paste (I added this because it seemed too runny without it! perfect consistency once I added this)
- 2 pounds store-bought ravioli (I used frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, spinach, mushrooms and garlic, and season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5-10 minutes. Add thyme and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, breaking up tomatoes with spoon, add tomato paste, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook ravioli in a large pot of boiling salted water just until they float to the top (pasta will continue to cook in oven). Drain pasta; return to pot.
- Toss sauce with pasta. Pour pasta into a large gratin dish or 9-by-13-inch baking dish, and sprinkle with cheeses. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.