Monday, November 16, 2009
Low(er) Fat Baked Mac n' Cheese
1/2 finely diced white onion
1 tbspn minced garlic
1 generous handful of spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup roasted red pepper strips, coarsely chopped
1 small handful of sliced mushrooms
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
3/4 cup low fat sour cream
1/2 cup non fat or low fat milk
2 cups (8 oz) grated cheese- (i used a bag of reduced fat cheddar) you can use all cheddar or your favorite cheese or a combination whatever you have on hand
4 cups elbow noodles cooked (8oz uncooked)
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
pinch of salt, pepper, and paprika
1. Boil and drain pasta according to directions on box.
2. Sauté onion and garlic in a small amount of butter. Add the spinach, red peppers, and mushrooms and continue to sauté over medium/low heat, until leaves are wilted (about 5 minutes).
3. In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, sour cream, milk, and shredded cheese in a bowl. Mix thoroughly.
4. Add sauteed veggies to the cheese mix, and mix together. Add the noodles and place into a casserole dish.
5. Sprinkle paprika over top of casserole (about 1-2 tsp), and then cover lightly with bread-crumbs.
6. Cover with foil, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes (or 45 if you make this the night before like I did).